If you’ve been reading the comics and commentary here at NAA, you’ll know I’m an unabashed creationist. (Yeah, I just said that out loud.) But not just a creationist — I’m one of those YECs — a Young Earth Creationist that the atheists and progressives love to loathe.
Now, there seems to be a sect of Christianity who, in an attempt to appear more “scientific” or “rational” or just “cool”, treat we creationists with utter contempt. They usually call themselves OEC — or Old Earth Creationists. To witness the contempt with which we’re held, go to any Old Earth creationist forum or blog. Authors of such sites often, though not always, treat atheists with more kindness and Christian love than we YECs. We’re seen like an unsightly zit on the face of Christianity. And OECs even say that our positions and presuppositions harm the faith and prevent people from coming to Jesus (!).
So imagine the pleasure I had in interviewing one of the most slandered and hated creationists in the world…
He had been imprisoned for 9 years. (I’ll let the reader discover the facts of his case themselves.) If the fact that he has been imprisoned makes you uncomfortable, Christian, please don’t forget that large portions of the Bible were written from prison.
Here it is. The NAA micro-interview with Kent Hovind.
NAA Interviews Kent Hovind (2015/10/26)
(1) What do you think is wrong with mainstream Christianity in America?
KH – Persecution will purify the Church like he has done in every other country. We are too soft.
(2) Do you think that mainstream Christianity frowns down on creation and creationists? If so, why do you think that is?
KH – You have to define mainstream Christianity. If you mean the old line denominations like Baptists, etc… then I think Mainstream Christianity is on board with it.
(3) What would you say to those Christians who consider the creation/evolution debate as a side issue?
KH – I think they need to read their Bible. Jesus said the creation of Adam was the beginning. Was He lying?
(4) Does humor belong in Christian ministry and apologetics?
KH – Absolutely. Why did God make women? He loves humor.
(5) In addition to evangelism, what should Christians be occupying their time with right now and in the immediate future?
KH – Well, after you make spiritual babies you have to raise them. Evangelism is step 1 and teaching is step 2.